This post by Allen Clifton originally appeared at Forward Progressives.
As most people who follow me know, I write a monthly special where I list 10 questions that I think every liberal should ask every conservative to see if they can actually get a decent answer. Mostly it serves the purpose of giving some people a few questions they might be able to ask their conservative counterparts, and it’s a rhetorical article because I really don’t believe most conservatives will be able to provide decent answers for the questions. The best “answers” I usually see are nothing more than regurgitated right-wing talking points.
Sometimes I do a “special edition” about a particular issue that might be going on and the ridiculousness of creationists has inspired me to do this special edition.
Then when I read about creationists from Answers in Genesis complaining that their “side” wasn’t being given any representation on the science show by Neil deGrasse Tyson, Cosmos, it sent me over the edge.
So, with that being said, let’s get started!
1) Do you understand the difference between science and faith?
2) If Noah really lived for 900 years, do you realize that means he lived for nearly 1/6 of the time you claim the world has existed?
3) If God could create the Earth in 6 days, why couldn’t he have just given Noah an ark instead of making him build one?
4) If humans and dinosaurs roamed the Earth at the same time, why don’t we ever find their bones in the same places?
5) About 97% of scientists (if not more) follow every rule written in science books. Exactly 0% of creationists follow every rule that’s written in the Bible. If you so wholeheartedly believe the Bible gives a word for word account of how old the Earth is, why don’t you follow every other rule that’s inside?
6) Since the age of the Earth and evolution are as scientifically accepted as gravity and photosynthesis – are you then denying the existence of gravity and photosynthesis?
7) Has any creationist ever seen the original copy of the Bible? Then how do you know what it really said?
8) If God determines when we live and die, why are humans living longer due to advances in medical scientific research?
9) Hundreds of years ago people believed that the Earth was the center of the universe, until science proved them completely wrong. Science now tells us how old the Earth is, and the truth about evolution, yet you still want to cling to the same level of ignorance as those from centuries ago?
10) Can you accurately predict, based on the “science” within the Bible, any event that will occur in the near future?
Wow, I could really keep going but I’ll stop there. I hope you enjoyed the questions and I encourage all of you reading this to share them with some of these religious radicals to see what kind of reaction you get.
Allen Clifton is from the Dallas-Fort Worth area and has a degree in Political Science. He is a co-founder of Forward Progressives, and author of the popular Right Off A Cliff column.
Jerry Coyne – Faith vs. Fact
Neil deGrasse Tyson on Science, Religion and the Universe | Moyers & Company
Top Ten Creationist Arguments
Be sure to ‘like’ us on Facebook