A-Muse-ing Ourselves to Death One Attebyte at a Time

By Bryan Johnson | 12 June 2018

(Image by Edar from Pixabay)

This week I heard many people reflecting upon the way the Twitter-verse is mirroring the world’s inequality. The vast majority of power is accruing to a tiny minority of people, some of those people are wielding that power irresponsibly, and our systems aren’t built to mediate the negative externalities. Right now, the only way we measure power on Twitter is in followers/retweets/likes, etc. Always numbers, but they’re not the right numbers.

What we actually care about is what these messages are doing once they get inside people’s thoughts. Not just that things are being shared, but the effect of sharing them. A while ago I came up with the concept of Attebytes — a conceptual way of quantifying finite cognitive resources — and about how the world will change once we have such a measure. Until then, what cost do we pay as a society by being unduly influenced by the 1% and unable to listen to and engage with the other 99%?

Neil Postman’s Amusing Ourselves to Death has a good take on this — we are filling in the valuable cognitive real estate that used to be given over to inspiration, creativity, imagination to instead being constantly entertained.

You know who used to be the Twitter 1%? The Muses, in ancient Greece. The voices in our head which inspired expansiveness and imagination — Calliope (epic poetry), Clio (history), Erato (love poetry, lyric art), Euterpe (music, especially flute), Melpomene (tragedy), Polymnia (hymns), Terpsichore (dance), Thalia (comedy), Urania (astronomy). Times are different now.

What if Twitter had different measures built into its system architecture besides just a high-school popularity contest? If you could redesign Twitter to optimize for different things, what would you do?

Reprinted with permission from the author.

Bryan JohnsonBryan Johnson is founder of Kernel, OS Fund and Braintree. In 2016, he founded Kernel, investing $100M to build advanced neural interfaces to treat disease and dysfunction, illuminate the mechanisms of intelligence, and extend cognition. Kernel is on a mission to dramatically increase our quality of life as healthy lifespans extend. He believes that the future of humanity will be defined by the combination of human and artificial intelligence (HI+AI). In 2014, Johnson invested $100M to start OS Fund which invests in entrepreneurs commercializing breakthrough discoveries in genomics, synthetic biology, artificial intelligence, precision automation, and new materials development. In 2007, he founded Braintree (acquired Venmo) which he sold to PayPal in 2013 for $800M. He is an outdoor-adventure enthusiast, pilot, and author of a children’s book, Code 7. You can follow his work at bryanjohnson.co, on his Future Literacy publication on Medium, and on Twitter.

Rebooting The Brain | Bryan Johnson | Web Summit Keynote 2018

Bryan Johnson wants to put a chip in your brain | Code 2017

Bryan Johnson Interview (Full Episode) | The Tim Ferriss Show (Podcast)

Synthetic Biology: Changing the Nature of Nature | Ep. 3 – Explorations with Bryan Johnson

Be sure to ‘like’ us on Facebook


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here